In order to achieve a better placement for the children of special needs, and guarantee their legitimate rights and interests, the following management procedure is specially formulated for the authorized foreign adoption organizations (hereinafter referred to as "adoption organizations") in their work for seeking adoptive families for the children of special needs.
A. The Sending -Out of Power of Attorney and Children's Materials:
1. The China Center of Adoption Affairs (hereinafter referred to as Center) will send out in batches and in turn a certain amount of materials concerning children of special needs to the authorized adoption organizations.
In accordance with the situation showed in the materials of the children of special needs and the ability of the authorized adoption organizations in their placement, each adoption organization will be authorized with 5 to 30 children in each batch.
2. The term of validity of the authorization for each batch of materials is three months from the date of the signing and issuing of the Power of Attorney (for details, see Appendix 3). If the organization still cannot find adoptive families after the expiry period of three months, the adoption organization should return all the materials concerning the children of special needs to the Center; then the Center will rearrange the placement. When there appears an intent to adopt but yet no adoptive families have been fixed, the adoption organization may keep the materials for the time being with the permission of the Center,even if the three months period is expired, and it will be listed in the next name-list of the authorized adoption organizations.
3. After each batch of authorized materials has become due, the authorized adoption organization should explain the progress of placement of the authorized children in the present batch to the Center, the contents of which include "the adoptive families have been found"; "there is an adoptive intent"; "adoptive families have not been found"; etc. And at the same time, the adoption organization may put forward to the Center the intention of requirements for the age, the number and the kinds of disabilities of the children of special needs in the next batch.
B. The Preparation of the Relevant Materials
After the adoption organizations have found adoptive families for the children of special needs, they should, first of all, investigate the basic condition of the adopters intending to adopt and be responsible for filling in the form Basic Information About the Prospective Adoptive Parents (for details, see Appendix 4); and then, help the prospective adopters fill in the Letter of Intent to Adopt Children of Special Needs (for details, see Appendix 5). After the prospective adopters sign the Letter of Intent to Adopt Children of Special Needs, the Center will take it as a formal decision of the adopters showing their agreement on the adoption of the child, and no Letter of Seeking Confirmation from Adopter will be issued in the ensuing process of verification of documents.
After the preparation of materials has been completed, the adoption organizations should submit the original copies and the Chinese translation version of the Basic Information about the Prospective Adoptive Parents and the Letter of Intent to Adopt Children of Special Needs to the Center.
C. The Examination of the Relevant Materials
After receiving the Basic Information about the Prospective Adoptive Parents and the Letter of Intent to Adopt Children of Special Needs submitted by the adoption organizations, the Center will carry out the examination of the basic condition of the prospective adopters and their treatment and rehabilitation plan. Through examination and consent by the Center, it will send out the Notice to the adoption organizations (for details, see Appendix 6).
D. The Submission of Adoptive Documents
After receiving the Notice sent by the Center, the adoption organizations should handle the following according to the different situation in which application documents for adoption have already been submitted or yet to be submitted to the Center.
1. If the documents have already been submitted to the Center, the adoption organizations should inform the Center by letter to offer the names of the adoptive families, the date of the delivery of documents and the names of the children to be adopted of special needs with the copy of the Notice attached sent by the Center.
2. As to the documents not yet submitted to the Center, the adoption organizations should wait for the completion of the application documents for adoption and inform the Center by letter, stating the names of the children of special needs to be adopted by the adoptive families, when submitting documents to the Center with the copy of the Notice attached sent by the Center.
After receiving the whole application documents of adoption of the families for the children of special needs, the Center will expedite the examination and management of the adopters' application documents.
China Center of Adoption Affairs
March 29, 2002